2019 Motorcycle Buyer’s Guide: 2019 Honda Grom
The Honda Grom has officially made its return for 2019 with some welcomed changes for this model year!
- Key 2019 Grom Facts / Specs:
- 2019 Grom Horsepower – 9.7 HP @ 7,000 RPM
- 2019 Grom Torque – 8.04 ft/lb TQ @ 5,500 RPM
- 2019 Grom MPG – 134 Miles Per Gallon
- 2019 Grom Weight – 229 lbs
- 2019 Grom ABS Weight – 234 lbs
- 2019 Grom Price / MSRP – $3,399
- 2019 Grom Colors – Cherry Red, Blue Raspberry, Incredible Green, Halloween Orange
- 2019 Grom ABS Price / MSRP – $3,599 (ABS = Anti-Lock Brake System)
- 2019 Grom ABS Colors – Cherry Red
- 2019 Grom Release Date – July 2018
G-R-O-M: For anyone remotely familiar with the cultural revolution birthed by Honda’s 125cc sport bike, that simple four-letter word conjures thoughts of enjoyment and fun. An instant cult classic, the Grom has captured the hearts and throttle hands of riders of all sizes and ability levels through its unique ownership of the small-bore sport category. A major portion of its charm is due to its diminutive stature, which is friendly to new riders, offers nimble handling, and is an absolute blast for carving turns. The pint-size Honda’s lightweight feel and peppy powerband contribute to its broad appeal, while the big-bike-inspired styling turns heads in every environment. With a four-speed transmission, manual clutch, and disc brakes, the Grom is as serious as it is delightful.
The Grom’s well-proven and efficient 125cc fuel-injected engine provides smooth torque and power delivery, and also features a motorcycle-style four-speed gearbox and clutch. Complementing the powerplant is a compact chassis that features a sturdy steel frame, inverted front fork, monoshock rear suspension, hydraulic disc brakes front and rear and lightweight 12-inch wheels sporting wide, low profile tires.
2019 Grom Engine / Drivetrain
- Single-cylinder 125cc SOHC four-stroke engine packs a perfect blend of performance with impressive fuel efficiency plus accessible and fun all-around ability.
- The engine uses low-friction technology such as an offset cylinder and a roller rocker arm for the valve gear.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) offers excellent throttle response over a wide range of riding conditions by continuously monitoring several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions.
- The four-speed gearbox is managed via a manual clutch and offers smooth and consistent gear changes.
Four patents were applied for through the original development of the Grom, focused around the split structure tank cover and frame, proof of just how seriously this bike is taken by Honda. Small it may be, but it in terms of worldwide sales, brand awareness and owner satisfaction, its impact has been large.
Priorities for the Grom’s chassis were threefold: it needed to provide the base for a practical bike that new riders could use – and park – with ease in an urban environment. But it also needed to be just as useable and enjoyable out-of-town, and also readily accept a passenger.
The comprehensive redesign last year gave the Grom a sharper new attitude with more of a ‘mini-streetfighter’ feel. The new fuel tank and side panels integrate cleanly to give an edgier outlook; up front a unique, new stacked LED headlight gives the Grom a distinctive, ultra-modern face. The compact, upswept tail unit (with LED taillight), higher pillion seat and short, under-slung exhaust complete the bolder new look.
A steel mono-backbone frame has been employed. Its rigid, square-section tube joins the headstock directly to the swingarm pivot plates and every other part in effect hangs visibly from the frame, greatly contributing to the Grom’s minimalist look. Specifically tuned vertical/horizontal rigidity and flex in the swingarm pivot and engine hanger plates provides the perfect balance of comfort and confidence.
The new frame structure also enabled efficient storage of PGM-FI-related components and electrical parts inside the tank cover without reducing fuel capacity 1.45 gallon. Wheelbase is a snug 47.2 inches, with rake and trail of 25⁰ and 3.2 inches and curb weight of 229 lbs (Grom ABS curb weight 234 lbs). The Grom has a low 30 inch seat height making it very manageable; its size also ensures that motor home owners are sure to find it easy to load/unload, transport and use.
2019 Grom Chassis / Suspension
- Integrated fuel tank and side panels with an edgy look.
- Stacked LED headlight layout.
- Under-slung exhaust, upswept tail unit.
- Sporty handlebar bend.
- Compact chassis features a sturdy mono backbone steel frame.
- Telescopic inverted 31mm fork (like on a full-size motorcycle) delivers 3.9 inches of travel.
- Steel box-section rear swingarm and a sturdy single shock yield 4.1 inches of comfortable rear-wheel travel.
- Single front 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper and single rear 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper deliver strong stopping power.
- Compact 47.4 inch wheelbase and light curb weight of 225 pounds results in amazing agility to boost rider confidence.
- LCD digital dash includes speedometer, odometer/A&B trip meters, clock and fuel gauge.
- Flip key.
Another aim for the Grom was to provide ‘beyond class’ suspension quality. The 31mm inverted forks – a first for Honda on a 125cc motorcycle – reduces unsprung weight and thanks to the pistons’ greater pressure-bearing area (compared to a standard telescopic fork) offers improved damping feel throughout the stroke. The top and bottom yokes are full-sized, further enhancing handling and rider feel while a lightweight and robust single rear shock operates a simple and tough H-shape, 50mm x 25mm steel box section swingarm.
Fundamental to the Grom’s form and function are its 12-inch cast aluminum wheels, which feature wide 2.5-inch rims. New ‘Y’ shaped spokes not only look great they also save weight and the front 120/70-12 and 130/70-12 rear tires also inject a different dynamic, both in terms of looks and performance. Hydraulic dual piston front and single piston rear brake calipers work front 220mm and rear 190mm discs.
Easy to read for its compact size the LCD digital dash delivers all the information the rider needs – speedometer, twin trip meters, fuel gauge and clock. Resetting the trip meters and clock, or alternation between odometer and trip meter is via switches either side of the display.
The Grom’s 125cc two-valve air-cooled engine is based on one of Honda’s most well-proven power units; known for its fuel efficiency, ease of use and longevity. Further development of the engine for the Grom has resulted in improved fuel economy; the engine uses low-friction technology such as an offset cylinder and a roller-rocker arm for the valve gear. Reducing crank inertia has also resulted in improved throttle feel and a smooth power delivery.
Imparting a motorcycle feel to the Grom, the four-speed gearbox is managed via manual clutch and offers smooth and consistent gear changes. The 15T gearbox sprocket, 34T final drive sprocket and 12-inch wheels deliver lively around-town response plus the ability to travel slowly in a high gear – perfect for threading easily through tight traffic.
Sophisticated PGM-FI guarantees highly efficient combustion, and works in conjunction with both air intake and exhaust to deliver an involving experience at the throttle. The air intake connecting tube and funnel is divided in two, allowing its length to be optimized for consistent torque delivery at low and mid rpm. A large, 3-liter airbox and panel-type, wet paper filter provide reliable and quiet airflow; the filter itself has a life of 10,000 miles.
All in all the Grom’s engine packs a perfect blend of punchy roll-on performance with useful, accessible and fun all-round ability. The effort put into reducing internal friction and increasing intake and exhaust efficiency has also produced a highly economical unit.
2019 Grom Information
- 2019 Grom Colors:
- Grom ABS: Cherry Red
- Grom: Cherry Red; Blue Raspberry; Incredible Green; Halloween Orange
- 2019 Grom Release Date: July 2018
- 2019 Grom Price / MSRP:
- Grom ABS: $3,599
- Grom: $3,399
Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan
- Meets current EPA and CARB standards
|Model||2019 Grom ABS||2019 Grom|
|Type||124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||SOHC; two-valve|
|Bore x Stroke||52.4mm x 57.9mm|
|Induction||PGM-FI w/ 24mm bore, automatic enrichment|
|Driveline||Chain final drive; 15T/34T|
|Transmission||Manual; four speeds|
|Front||31mm hydraulic telescopic inverted fork; 3.9 in. travel|
|Rear||Single shock w/ steel box-section swingarm; 4.1 in. travel|
|Front||Hydraulic; single 220mm disc w/ two-piston caliper; ABS||Hydraulic; single 220mm disc w/ two-piston caliper|
|Rear||Hydraulic; single 190mm disc w/ single-piston caliper; ABS||Hydraulic; single 190mm disc w/ single-piston caliper|
|Rake (castor angle)||25º|
|Trail||81mm (3.18 in.)|
|Seat Height||30 in.|
|Ground Clearance||6.5 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||1.45 gal. (.38 gal. reserve)|
|Curb Weight*||234 lbs.||229 lbs.|
|Colors||Cherry Red||Cherry Red; Blue Raspberry; Incredible Green; Halloween Orange|
* Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride. Meets current CARB and EPA emissions standards.